Saturday, October 25, 2014

My Japan Experience (Part 1 of 5)

For most late 90s kids like me who grew up watching Dragon Ball Z, SlamDunk, Yuyu Hakushu and other Japanese animations, an opportunity to travel to Japan is undeniably a dream. That is why when JICA confirmed that I will participate in a 3-week Training for Young Leaders under Economic Administration (industry promotion) in Japan, my excitement, and perhaps confusion, led me to a series of blunders which ultimately caused me my part-time teaching job  at Saint Louis University. Most of the time, juggling many things in the air is never a good idea. But as the 'eternal student' (cough cough :), I am a sucker for experiences. I just want to try it all.

On October 4, even with a heavy heart because I will miss my little angel, I joined the Pre-departure seminar at Holiday Inn and Suites. As I checked in, the luxurious atmosphere of 4 and 5 stars hotels reminded me again of the vast disconnect between the rich and poor - between the wealthy guests and the street kids scattered on the 'gates of hell' (which is Manila according to D. Brown). In a world that celebrates the 'excess', meeting the other 'Young Leaders' to, perhaps, discuss how to make this world bearable is exciting and challenging at the same time. After all, the participants are young and competitive agency directors, lawyers, bankers, politicians, heads of offices, and what have you, each having the vision  to contribute to the development of the country, and maybe to the world. As for me, the endorsement of Mayor Edna Tabanda, may have done the magic. Truth to be told, it was she who lobbied for JICA's assistance for the Benguet General Hospital during her time. But maybe I also do have the credentials (cough! cough!), come to think of it,  I was also accepted in an India grant which I turned down. Still, how I got in the program is amusing if not a mystery.:)

My Economic Administration classmates at the PDOS (Photo by Vidz)
Meeting the participants from Economic Development, Rural Development, and Small-Medium Enterprise Administration courses, I was able to squeeze in that rare circle of JICA trainees. Through my own years of countless Leadership Seminars, Kapihans, and Trainings, I have lost the instinct to become intimidated. I've seen it all I guess; the 29 year-old municipal mayor and 25-year old board member in our Luzon Successor generation forum, the 21-year old bank owner in the Ateneo-YKLD and so on. When you start thinking that you are good, there will always be someone who is better than you. That, I have proven in many times. Fortunately, the other 44 participants are mostly friendly and accommodating. From the general orientation, cultural presentation, up to the language training, the participants were kind and supporting. Maybe because we came from different parts of the country (I represent the Cordillera region!), and that  idealist bond of nationhood has found its way to the expected success of the group's training outside the country. Maybe.
_________________________________________________________________________________

We boarded the plane without any hassle on October 6, probably because we hold the red (official) passport.  This will be my 3rd foreign country to visit (after Singapore and Malaysia), but still I find the flight experience so awesome (especially because of the free lunch and drinks haha). When we landed at Narita airport, I quickly searched for their toilet. I wanted to check this myself----->
Yup. That's the japanese 'washlet', a bidet with automatic features like anus and genitalia washing, seat warming, and deodorization. Some even have music players or some other added features. For me, this wonder is already the ultimate epitome of the easy and comfortable life. :)

We transferred from the a connecting domestic flight to Osaka and boarded a bus to a Daiwa Roynet Hotel at Kobe.  We were tired and hungry by the six-hour journey, but still energized by the excitement. The view from the bus windows alone will surely make one understand the difference between a developed country and a developing one. We were extremely amazed. We realized that we are now really in Japan.

We decided to roam around their streets after we checked in to look for somewhere to dine in. Because it is past 11, only a few food shops are open. We decided to try the one near our hotel and tested our language skills to give our orders. Thankfully, we remembered "Sumemasen" (Excuse me), "Kore" (This), and "Arigato Guzaimasu" (Thank you). Who would know that my father's Karate kata exercises also taught me to count in Japanese (Ichi, ni, san...). When we successfully ordered our food, we became overconfident that the language barrier will not really be a challenge to us. We were dead wrong (haha).

The next day, we went to the JICA-Kanzai center to a 2-day briefing about our finances, the Japanese economy (a separate article for this will be uploaded soon including the effect of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to their 'rebuilder generation') and to review our basic Japanese language skills for the last time. The photo below shows my 14 classmates in the Economic Administration Course (the other courses are Rural Development and SME Dev.). We were reminded that most of our training will be held at Matsuyama city, Ehime Province under the Shikoku region. Hence we would have to prepare for a six hour bus ride the following day.


Roaming the streets of Kobe for the last day reminds me of a January-Baguio City when I was younger. The feel of a chilly Burnham park minus the crowd and the noise of heavy traffic plus bicycles, clean streets, and the view of the coastal parks made me understand why basketball star Kobe Bryant was named after this city. (Picture below shows a view of Kobe City.)


We departed from the JICA center by bus to the Shikoku region. As usual, I took the window seat to have the perfect view of the places which we will pass by. The travel gave me a glimpse of the difference of big cities (like those in the Kanzai region), and rural areas (like most of Shikoku region). The images below are among the views from my bus window:

Japan's Efficient Highway Systems
Coastal Towns
Farm towns
Another farm area. Yes, their zoning ordinances are followed well.
I thought that Japan is only about technology, but from the many farms that we saw, my contemplation shifted to our country's current acceptance that Services and Industry had already taken over our Agriculture-based sector in our economy.To understand what I mean, take a look at the current share of sectors in our GDP (data from DTI and BOI ):

I wondered how Japan managed to excel in both Agriculture and Industry sectors, even after 1950s when they lost the war and the US predicted that it will take them more than a hundred years to get back on their feet.  I will give my conclusions in the other parts of this article.

For now, let me reminisce. :)


                               .............................................End of Part 1....................................................

Click this link for Part 2-----> Japan Experience (Part 2 of 5)
Click this link for Part 3----->Japan Experience (part 3 of 5)

3 comments:

  1. hello valred my ever talented friend., one of my favorite drinking buddy and an idol ( in writing and literature, inayon mo pay jay "panagdisdiskarte" he he he). tatta ak lang nagnet after a few weeks and luckily I stumble across your latest piece. Yeah, if only our government could do half of what you saw in Japan specifically in agriculture then our rich natural resources would not go to waste. Well, we have to swallow the bitter truth that the heaven blessed us with incompetent leaders ha ha., can't wait to read the succeeding parts., p.s. agpa 2x2 kanto ah he he.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pards...kasla met lang nag-take kan ti bar ah hehe...Salamat, awan problema dita ada pay met review eh hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. apay nga kasla? ta hanak nagnet ti nabayag? he he,. gamin nabayag nga naawan jay wifi ti kaaruba nga office ha ha ha.

      Delete

Feel free to comment. Please also share to your friends ;)